Saturday, December 15, 2007

Recipe Exchange




So this food board that I go to did a Holiday Recipe Exchange this year. People sent in a recipe for a sweet treat and then they were shuffled up by one great member and sent out anonymously to those who participated. Well, I sent in a yummy recipe (I can't say what yet) and got a similar one back. I was kinda freaked out by it, because I have never made done sugar work before. I even had to go buy a candy thermometer to make this! It was kinda hard and really time consuming, but I'm happy to say they turned out (I think, I've never actually had divinty before, but I'm pretty sure this is what they are supposed to be like.) I won't know who sent me the recipe until the reveal on the 22nd, and as of right now I don't have a guess. But I'm glad I got this recipe, it was fun to try something new.


Mama's Divinity
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Paula's Home Cooking
Episode: A Candy Occasion
4 cups sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
3/4 cup cold water
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir only until sugar has dissolved. Do not stir after this point. Cook syrup mixture until it reaches 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer, bringing it to a hard ball stage.
While the syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Once the sugar mixture reaches 250 degrees F, carefully pour a slow steady stream of syrup into the stiffly beaten egg whites, beating constantly at high speed. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until mixture holds its shape, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in pecans. Using 2 spoons, drop the divinity onto waxed paper, using 1 spoon to push the candy off the other. This may take a little practice because the technique is to twirl the pushing spoon, making the candy look like the top of a soft serve ice cream. If the candy becomes too stiff, add a few drops > of hot water. You will need to work fast when making this type of candy. After you spoon the cooked sugar and nuts onto the waxed paper, you're done. Cool the candies on racks completely. You can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

No comments: