Sunday, December 23, 2007

Gifts in a jar

So for Christmas this year we decided to give out gifts in a jar to some of our friends and family. The one before was for one of our close friends, and now we are making some for family that will be here for Christmas and our wedding. We ended up doing chicken soup and big fat chewy chocolate chip cookies in a jar. They were a little tedious to make, but I think everyone will like them. The jars are some that I found at Wal-Mart and the recipe cards are ones I found in the dollar bin at Michael's. I wrote what was in the jar on the back of the card, so that people can make them again. I always hate when you get one of these and love them and then do not know what was in the jar.
These baskets are also going to have a jar of spiced nuts in them.


The cookies are the ones in the post below, just the dry ingredients and the chips, with a cute recipe card attached saying what else needs to go in. I figure everyone loves these cookies, so I thought I would share the recipe.



The soup recipe came out of a Gifts in a Jar cookbook. I love chicken soup and was trying to think of nice, comforting recipes to put in the baskets, so I thought these were perfect.


Here is the recipe for the soup


Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
From Gifts In A Jar

4 cups wide egg noodles

2 tbsp dried minced onion

2 tbsp chicken bouillon granules

2 tsp celery flakes1 tsp pepper
Layer ingredients in the order given into a wide mouth

1 quart canning jar

Pack each layer in place before adding the next.
Attach gift tag with cooking directions.

Cooking Directions:

1 jar Chicken Noodle Soup Mix

2 (5 oz) cans chicken

Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the Chicken Noodle Soup Mix. Add chicken, breaking it up well with a fork. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender.

No comments: