Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vegetable Soup


Growing up I never really liked vegetable soup, mainly because I didn't really like vegetables. But now that I'm older, and had really good vegetable soup a few times, I actually have started to like it. And even more surprisingly, I've even started to crave it. So when Doug mentioned that it sounded good to him too I decided that it was time I try my hand at this classic dish.

I found a recipe that sounded really good on Sweet Savory Southern and decided to run with it. The only changes I made to this recipe was to double it and add a half cup of water to get the consistency that I wanted. This was because I wanted a slightly thinner consistency, but you can add as much or as little as you want to hit your perfect consistency. Doubling this gave us the perfect amount for dinner and a few days of leftovers.

This soup is perfect for a nice cold day like the ones we've been having recently, so give it a try!


Vegetable Soup

1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
8 oz beef broth
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
2 1/2-3 cups mixed vegetables I used 2 small bags of frozen peas, carrots, corn, and green beans

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook for about 5 min. Add beef broth and canned tomatoes. Next add the mixed vegetables. Add seasonings and stir to combine. Add water to achieve desired consistency. Cover and simmer on low for about 35-45 min, stirring occasionally.

These are the directions for a single batch (except for the note about the vegetables). I doubled this.

5 comments:

Shawna said...

Oooooo...that looks so warm and comforting!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - vegetable soup is one of my fave ways to work in veggies in my diet!

That Girl said...

We're having a veggie soup for dinner - beet and cabbage. I'm actually a little worried about it!

Donna-FFW said...

This soup looks perfect for a cold day. Sounds super simple to put together too. Perfect lunch or weeknight meal!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great. My hubby is a vegetarian, so I would have to replace the broth with veggie broth. I may give it a try this weekend!