Monday, October 27, 2008

Beer + Cheese = Heaven


Sometimes the things that I like to eat surprise me. Like beer bread. I don't really care for beer, don't like the flavor. But I love beer bread. Maybe it is the fact that it's a bread and I love bread so much that I forget what is in it. At any rate, I was very excited when I saw this cheesy beer bread come up on Katie's Good Things Catered blog. I love cheese and bread and Doug loves cheese, bread, and beer so this was sure to be a hit in our house.

I didn't have any whole wheat flour so I just used all AP flour (but I do plan to buy some WW flour soon and will definitely be trying this again). For the beer I used Miller High Life and we ended up really liking the way this tasted. The bread is really easy to put together and stays fresh for a few days in a Tupperware container. We had this Saturday night with steaks and potatoes and carrots and then again last night with chicken casserole. I just finished the last piece a little while ago and it was just as good as the first. I will be making this again for sure and totally recommend that you give it a shot next time you want some beer bread.


Easy Cheesy Beer Bread

Ingredients:
2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour (I used all AP)
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt1 tsp garlic powder
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar
12 oz. bottle of lager or stout (I used Miller High Life)
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare loaf pan for baking.
In large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder.
Whisk to combine well.-Add cheese and whisk to combine.
Slowly add beer to dry ingredients and stir lightly until combined.
Knead dough lightly until it just comes together.
Place into prepared loaf pan and pour melted butter over top.
Place in oven to bake for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM! Looks great!! So glad you liked it!!