Saturday, August 30, 2008

Great Morning Muffins


I work about 45 minutes away from where we live, so every day I leave the house around 6:20 to get to work in time. Since I leave so early I don't have time to eat my breakfast at home (I do not want to wake up any earlier!) so I eat in the car. I quickly grew tired of pop tarts, dry cereal, and granola bars so I decided to start making a batch of muffins so that I would be able to take a couple to eat as breakfast during the week.

The first type I started with were these Sugar and Spice Muffins. I saw the recipe in my Google Reader from What's Cooking in the Orange Kitchen? and thought they looked really good. They got rave reviews over there and they did not disappoint! I thought they were really moist and had an interesting flavor. D did not really care for them, but we have different tastes on sweets, he is not a big fan of sugar cookies and shortbread while I am, I think these cookies fall into the same type of taste category. I would definitely recommend these, they are really great and I plan to make them again soon.


Sugar and Spice Muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat together oil, 3/4 cup sugar, egg and milk. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture, just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

While muffins are baking, mix together 3/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. While muffins are still hot, dip tops in melted butter and then in cinnamon sugar mixture.


What's Cooking in the Orange Kitchen sites the original source for these as allrecipes.com.

No comments: