Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dinner Divas #1- Orange Mandarin Chicken


So two of the girls on the food board I go to for all the really great recipes there are decided to create a really neat food blog event for those of us who are too busy for a super-strict event. They named the group Dinner Divas. I've only done one blog event so far (I'm working on another one) but I've wanted to do more, but so many of them are really structured and have strict rules. So, the girls decided (with help from a lot of people on the board) that this group will have only one rule: there are no rules. Every month 2 members will pick 2 recipes (one from the Food Network and the other from another source) and you can make however many you want (if you even want to) and you can change them however you want. This month's event had some really tasty sounding recipes but I decided to make the Orange Mandarin Chicken from Cooking Light because it sounded really good and didn't seem too hard. However, I've never made a sauce before and really thought that I had messed this up until I saw someone else blog it yesterday and I realized that my sauce was actually just about right. But, since I thought it was messed up I just ended up basting the chicken in the sauce instead of pouring it all over. I thought the sauce could have used some more orange flavor (although I did leave out the jalapeno and didn't put in as much onion, so I'm thinking that could have changed the taste). The only other change I made was to use chicken drumsticks instead of breasts because that was what I had. This was pretty good, but I think I may look for a different recipe next time. Any suggestions?


Orange Mandarin Chicken

From Cooking Light- here on allrecipes.com

Ingredients
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil (I used olive oil because that was what I had)
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used drumsticks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, undrained
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (I omitted)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce 2 teaspoons cornstarch

Preparation

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
While chicken cooks, drain oranges in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Add oranges, 2 tablespoons liquid, onions, jalapeño, and garlic to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Combine broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Hmmm - maybe adding some orange juice or orange juice concentrate will give it some additional flavor? Otherwise it looks great!