Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cinnamon Chip Blondies

So I get a lot of my recipes and inspiration from the What's Cooking Board and all the incredible girls there. I actually have a binder full of incredible recipes from the board and the blogs of the other members (that list to the right is full of links to all those great blogs: prepare to get hungry). So yesterday I promised D that I would bake something, but ended up getting distracted and most of the day got away from me. But not one to break a promise, I grabbed my trusty binder and started flipping. Toward the front of the sweets section (yes, I have so many that I have it divided) I came across one of the classic What's Cooking recipes: blondies. Now I've had blondies before but I have never actually made them myself. So I busted out my mixer and hit the pantry to see what I had to mix into the blondies and found that I still have a couple bags of Hershey's Cinnamon Chips. So I ended up throwing those into the mix, which I doubled to make a 9 x 13. This recipe is so simple it can be made really quickly, but it is so good you'll want to use it even if you have all day to bake!



Basic Blondies

Source: Now That's What's Cooking (Originally from Bakingblonde)



Ingredients:

8 T. butter, melted

1 c. brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla or 1/2 tsp. almond extract

pinch salt

1 c. flour

About 1 1/2 cups of Cinnamon Chips



Butter an 8x8" pan. Mix melted butter with brown sugar-beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (some ideas below). Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes (I ended up cooking my 9 x 13 pan for about 35-40 minutes)or until set in the middle. Cool on rack before cutting. I sprinkled some more cinnamon chips on top after I took them out of the oven but before they cooled, just to add a little more cinnamon flavor.



Add in ideas:

1/2 to 1 c. chocolate chips or butterscotch chips

1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract

1/2 c. chopped nuts, chopped up candy bars

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh, cinnamon chips! Sometimes they can be hard to come by so it's great you were able to get some for this recipe! :)

Pat said...

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe. The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia.

Cassia has a chemical called coumarin which could be toxic.

Please click the below link to read more

http://www.bfr.bund.de/cd/8487

Anonymous said...

OOOOH those sounds yummy! I used some cinnamon chips in a batch of blondies as well and added a cinnamon cheesecake swirl! MMM good!